On the occasion of Ratan N. TATA venue at HEC Paris on April 23rd,
This is some fun and interesting facts about the chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons.
1. Ratan N. Tata was born in 1937 in Surat, in British India
2. He committed himself to a career as an architect
3. Began working in the family company in 1962, after graduating from Cornell University with a degree in architecture and structural engineering
4. Started as a laborer on the shop floor of Tata Steel
5. Graduated from the advanced management programme at Harvard Business School in 1975
6. In 1991 he succeeded to his uncle and became the group’s fifth chairman
7. Tata Sons Ltd owns 91 companies in 7 sectors: consumer goods, services, chemicals, energy, materials, engineering and metallurgy, NTIC.
8. Launched in 2008 the cheapest car in the world, “the Nano” sold at less than $2000
9. Under his stewardship, Tata Group acquired Tetley, Jaguar, Land Rover and Corus
10. Was named as Forbes’ “Asian Businessman of the Year” in 2005.
You might also be interested in “Tata: The Evolution of a Corporate Brand” / Morgen Witzel. Penguin Books, 2010. Library code : 6-2414 WIT Book review here
“I have been constantly telling people to encourage people, to question the unquestioned and not to be ashamed to bring up new ideas, new processes to get things done.”
See also : Tata Time Line